Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Little things, big belly, and a baby

I have a friend who lives in the city. We met through Reiki shares, and 2 days before I birthed Pook, we took a Reiki III class together. He's an amazing poet and photographer. He took pictures of me and hubby, and my precious belly when I was pregnant, and 10 days after the pook was born, he visited us to take more pictures.

<-- Pook at 10 days.

We became friends when he read my poetry, and shared some of his own. I was flattered because he considered me to be a muse.

We'd hang out on occasion. For a long time after Pook was born, he was going through his own stuff, and I didn't really get to spend time hanging out.

He did manage to take some gorgeous pictures of Pook for her first birthday. And then... he faded off into his own world.

This year, we've found time to get together almost once a month. We sit at opposite ends of the couch doing reflexology and Reiki to each other's feet. In this time we solve the world's problems, and our own, and it's all good stuff. I mean, it's couch time after all!

The other day, while we were chatting, he was talking about all that he'd been through, and told me that it was time he started spending time with people who really cared about him and wouldn't use him. Good friends, like me.

It's funny, because, being a "Good Friend" took me by surprise. I'm just me. I do my own thing. I'm not the person to call at 3 am when you've got a problem (Hell, if you call after 8pm, I don't answer the phone!) If I don't want to do something, I usually don't. There are certain qualities in people I don't deal with. In fact, I'll avoid people with those qualities. If you are going through a hard time, I can be supportive. I do not want to hear about a situation you've created, are complaining about, and unwilling to get out of (especially if you know it's best to get out of it) - for the third time. First time, you do gt sympathy. I do things without explanation, though you can ask and I'll probably answer you. I'm quite involved in my family life and my own self- created schtuff; I admit it. I can be really self-centered. So, this was a lovely compliment for me.

I apparently have a knack for being there when people need me (most of the time), as well as good listening skills. Add that to my unique gift for helping people to see the good in things, especially one's self, and the fact that I can be a really loving and giving person on occasion. I care a lot about a lot of people in my life. And, whereas I once called everyone and anyone a friend, I'm not more selective in my choices of friends now.

It's not something I associate with who I am. Hi, I'm Grace, and I'm a "good friend!" However, that little comment he made, really meant a lot for some odd reason.

No comments: