Thursday, May 18, 2006

Having fun...

From dictionary.com:
fun ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fn)n.
1 A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure.
2 Enjoyment; amusement: have fun at the beach.
3 Playful, often noisy, activity.


I had an amazing conversation with a friend last night. It resulted in her mentioning that she doesn't think we (as in me and the hubby) have fun; that we aren't enjoying our life, because we're too caught up in other things. Fact is... *sigh* she's right.

I'm not sure what happened, or how it happened, or, maybe I never was a fun person come to think of it. I enjoy things like cleaning and decluttering, okay, sort of. I do admit to feeling good when I clean, do laundry, or most basic house work things. I like the sense of accomplishment, and that fresh clean feeling.

Sometimes I wonder what I'd do if I didn't have house projects to complete.

Right now, I feel like I'm a juggler:
*being a mom
*relationship with hubby
*taking care of myself (which, is often dropped)
* getting the house fixed up (front door and front needs painting)
* clearing out the pile of clutter in the basement
* cleaning up the garden
* preparing to move: i.e. packing, getting rid of stuff, and, oh yeah, finding a house and putting ours on the market! (eventually)
* being frugal as I can
* choosing to homeschool (thus needing to do the research)

I'm trying to find the harmony of all these things. I really envy Ed (mulching, waterproofing the deck), Stacey (mowing the lawn, getting new floors, having windows caulked and painted, etc.), and Phil (though, haven't heard many house projects from him lately, but he does them on occasion) who seem to have it together when it comes to house stuff. Then again, I do have a child, but, I keep wondering if that's an excuse.

I'm digressing I think...

I need some input here. I want to be more playful, and make things fun. I don't want my daughter to be tainted by my lack of fun-ness. I really do think it's important, but, I'm just not sure I know how to have fun anymore.

Am I making sense?

Oh great void out there... lend me your input. How might I incorporate more fun into my life? What is fun? How do you have fun? How do you define it? (Ed, you always seem to have fun. How do you do it?)

I know that part of it is changing my perspective. I'm just not sure how. Anybody our there got some "Fun" glasses I can borrow?

4 comments:

Phil Romans said...

Well, my house is just a place to pile my stuff. A place that my dog calls home before we go for a walk. (she barks at things, so it is!)

My mental projection of myself is outside my house... involvement in charity work, helping friends, or just going for lots of walks with the pupper. My house is a lot less than it used to be for me.

As for making thing more fun, you got me.
I have found that the Loyola group has done well by throwing parties. About once a month it seems for various reasons.

Thats my 2 cents for today.

Playful Grace said...

See, I'm beginning to realize that my house isn't just a place to pile stuff. I work from home, so I'm in it pretty much ALL the time. Perhaps that is the problem.

I'm not involved in charity work (I honestly don't think I could handle adding something else on the juggling pile), though I do like to help friends.

Parties can be fun, but many times I find them to be rather exhausting trying to meet up with and connect with everyone. I prefer the one-on-one stuff. I've become quite the recluse since moving up here.

Maybe I'm just taking things too seriously.

Playful Grace said...

Actually Stacie, maybe her perception of fun is just different then mine. (Yup, been giving this more thought than I probably should...)

I realized, that my friend is the embodiement of fun. Seriously. This woman has the gift to make ANYTHING fun - from cleaning to long car trips to laundry. She also really loves us, and worries about us, and lately we've all been rather stressed out with plannning to move and the like.

We are definitely homebodies, especially hubby. Which I think is why I focus so much effort and energy on the house. Like you said, it's a haven for us when things get too much.

Phil Romans said...

Maybe it is a different outlook between males and females. I admit I spend quite a bit of time home, but I really don't invest that much in to the home itself.
As a guy, it is a place to watch TV, play on the computer, eat, sleep... etc. The basics of what I call my life.

My real highlights for me are elsewhere, either internally, friends, trips, etc. So my home is more of a location than a desitnation. It is not my 'Fortress of Solituide' as for Superman... and I don't have a family to worry about. So I suspect I am highly different than most everyone else.

Damn single guys!

But occasionally I have this thought, "What would you do if your house burned down?" (pupper being safe) And other than loosing some key things, I am not too horrible shook up about it.