Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Using Lent as a time for Pruning

For some odd reason lately, I've been connecting back to my Catholic roots. Expecially when I look at the calendar to see that today is Fat Tuesday, and tomorrow, is Ash Wednesday. I once knew someone who'd gourge himself silly on this day, only to fast all of Ash Wednesday. Hmmm... wonder if he still does that?

In any case, I'm realizing that tomorrow is the start of Lent. You know, that time when you're supposed to give something up, to symbolize God giving up his only son, who rose on Easter Sunday?

I once had a friend of mine who shared a beautiful image of Lent, an image that I think I'm going to honor, and give serious thought to. You see, her old priest once gave a wonderful sermon about how we should use Lent to prune ourselves, to get rid of all the negative aspects in ourselves, to really take stock, and cut out what's not longer useful, or that which is harmful to the rest of our growth. That leaves space for new growth just like a fruit trees. Besides, as most know, a well-pruned fruit tree bears a lot more fruit.

Besides, I don't give up chocolate.

So, with this lovely image in mind, I think I'll plan to do some pruning. I've got a lot going on, but I think this is important, and something I really need to give some thought to. Ironic to, in that I'm going to a discussion this weekend on The Simple Life.

Hmmm... it's like, decluttering your mind and body. Yup, there's that decluttering theme again. :)

What are things you would prune from your life?

2 comments:

Ed said...

You know, I was reading this blog entry and Linda walked in with a small bag of prunes, marveling at how they actually tasted pretty good and how she was glad she bought and tried some "just for the heck of it".

While devoid of deeper meaning it was, nonetheless, an interesting happenstance.

Playful Grace said...

That's too funny! Actually, prune really aren't that bad. :)