I have had the most blastedly bloodyweek - and Tuesday's not even over yet! I know I should be focusing on joy, but lately, me desire has been comfort. Pure, unadulterated comfort. You know, the kind you find from downing a batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, or brownies, warmed and gooey from the oven.
Yesterday we missed Da Pooks play date. I was feeling fine in the morning, even made it through the weekend, but yesterday, about 9:30 am, my cold caught up with me complete with fuzzy head and nose so stuffed I couldn't breathe. Let me tell you now, that when you are a mom who stays home with your baby, and you are sick, you can just forget about getting any rest.
All I wanted to do was sleep and feel better. And, chocolate of course. I think being in my PJs from the weekend didn't help that notion, but, I was to tired to change. So, I succumbed to letting her watch a video tape of Noggin (she calls it "Moose"), and laid down, only to have her crawling all over me, and sticking her little butt in my face, pulling my hair, and finally settling in to sit on my head.
I almost bit through my tongue, because for the first time ever, I was mad. All I wanted, all I needed was a little bit of a rest, and all she did was torture me. Then, hubby comes home, and I'm freaked because I didn't get the lasagne in the over in time, only to realize he was early (thank God!), and by then, all I wanted was more chocolate, a good nap, and a good cry.
I ended up with a hot shower, snug flannel PJs, and proped up in bed working on a labtop, with DH actually staying up next to me to keep me company. I did let myself sleep in at least this morning.
So today, Da pook and I are still sniffly and stuffy, but I'm using my essential oil diffuser with Eucalyptus and Red Thyme oils to help us breathe better. And, thankfully, though Da Pook is still cranky, and I'm still a little bit cranky, we're doing better today. I was at least able to get laundry and some work done.
I hate getting thrown off routines, and I'm not fond of getting sick, especially because since I'm a mom, I don't feel I've a right to be sick (yes, I'm fully aware of how ridiculous that sounds, but it's a mom thing, that I'm just not sure how to explain). So, when I get sick, I never really give myself a chance to rest and recover, usually because I've also got to do my work, take care of Da Pook, and try to get stuff done around the house.
That being said, I'm quite grateful that I'm feeling better now. I really am. And, I'm hoping that I'm feeling even more better tomorrow.
Oh, and on the plus side, I discovered, that if you shred a piece of Dove Dark Chocolate (the one's with a cute little message like, "Today is a bubble bath day") over about 3 cups of warm popcorn (I use microwaved, but would LOVE to have an air popper), it totally satisfies that sweet-buttery-salty craving. Mmmm.... chocolate popcorn.
Hmmm... might just have to go and make me another bowl!
3 comments:
Eek! Well, consider some virtual chocolate sent your way from this blogger.
Chocolate and anything salty is heaven. A half-bite of a hershey's kiss and a potato chip is worth its weight in gold.
I also have noticed that, when I am mad, it feels really good to take the dove chocolate *wrapper* with the message "be warm and snuggly and happy" and shred that over the trashcan. That usually does the trick for me. 8)
Seriously, though, there are people in our lives (like pooks) whom we love unconditionally. And while we love them unconditionally all the time, there are only a few times in our lives where we truly get to prove it. It might not take away the sniffles, but you know there are some out there who would have handled such fleeting anger much differently. That recognition is a reward in and of itself. I don't know where such a reward stands on the chocolate scale, but it's probably somewhere up there.
Occasionally, the routine will get broken, and what I personally do is let it happen! You can always re-establish it when you're better, and perhaps re-arrange it while you're sick if needed.
Of course, this is easy for me to say - I don't hhave my own ouse, a wife, a pook, or seriously deblitating chocolate cravings :>
Love and hugs
P.S. I knew about Elvis ;)
- Canadian Penguin
Thank you Ed. I needed that.
And Canadian Penguin - how in the world di you know about the Elvis thing? Dag...
Perhaps I am too caught up in the routine of things. Whenever it gets thrown off, it's a huge jolt for me. Yet, I know, "there'll be day like these!"
Hmmmm...
Post a Comment