To say this week was hectic, would be a understatement. This week had it's good points and incredibly crazy points. I work from home, which is great. But, I have a 24-48 hour time slot to complete work during the week. On Friday this doubles, as I need to complete all that comes in by 3 pm before the weekend starts.
If I keep up with this, the week flows by in a comforting rhythm, and I can even start my weekend come 3pm on Friday afternoon. However, if I end up doing other things during the week, work gets put on hold (or I loose sleep), and then, I'm left to work with a Pook on my lap. I have busy seasons in my work: the early fall, right before Christmas, and the end of spring/early summer. During these times, I can put in 8 hours or more a day. The rest of the time, I put in anywhere from 4 to 6 hours a day, which, when you get up at dawn, and have the time in the evenings when hubby comes home or Pook is napping, still allows for Mommy-Daughter playtime. Plus, I can break up the time, and keep my brain from going num.
This week, however, I've been spending 8 hours or more per day, while enjoying the week with unexpected pleasures. I feel as though I've been chained to my computer, and haven't really had the time to settle in an enjoy the blogs that I have discovered bring me a certain comfort, like checking in with old friends (which some are!), or just reading about life in the English or Australian countryside, or up North in the US.
The unexpected pleasure were well worth it, and very much a priority. Monday was Pook's Kindermusik class, followed by a play date. Tuesday was a last minute arrangement to make the most of the snow before it melted. L has a mountain in the front and one in the back. The one in the back has a huge hill for sledding. It's the type of hill that you get to a certain point, your sled spins around, then your go down it backwards, and have to stop, or else make a super long walk back to the top. The snow was perfect, and by now, wet enough to make a small snow man on the hill.
Da Pook wasn't too fond of the sledding, but me and L had a blast. It was then, I felt a call to climb to a certain spot on "the hill" as she calls it. I then climbed to a certain spot on the mountain, where a cement Buddha (the one who smiles with his arms above his head) watches the grandfather oak tree who over looks the farm. It's a very sacred place.
I went there on my own, before Pook decided she wanted to walk there too, and while trying to find the path, I got the message, "Sometimes, you just need to make your own path." To put this moment into words, is challenging, because there aren't really words to describe the power I felt or the double meaning behind it. It was one of those "WOW" moments, where things click, and you know that everything is a part of everything else, and if you listen closely, you'll get all those answers you've been seeking. So, if you aren't into this stuff... just skip the next paragraph or two...
As I made my way to the tree (ironically I'd found the original path, but didn't know it), I put my arms around it, and just hugged. I've hugged trees before (yes, I know, I'm an occasional tree hugger), but this one was different. He was old, wise, and very calm. I wanted to cry, and shed my fears and stress. I felt as though I was in the arms of a wise old grandfather, who stroked my hair as I told him my woes, my hopes, and dreams. Again, I heard, that "sometimes, you just need to make your own path." I knew then, that I was on the right path; my path. It was the path I'd been following the last few years, the one where you learn how to listen to that inner voice, that intuition per se, that guides you with a love and compassion that is just incredible.
Now, I've got an incredible and very vivid imagination, as anyone who knows me can tell you. It's this blessing that let's me take things a step beyond in some areas. My imagination has brought my comfort through the years, it's provided interesting information in regards to past lives, it's very valuable for reading tarot, and in some cases, it's even been right on in regards to situations that haven't happened yet. And then, there have been those times, when it's also been quite off. Usually, that's where the human judgement or ego muddles it. But when I'm connected, to whatever you'd like to call it, it's amazing.
Okay, we return to me watching L and Pook climbing the "hill" to join me. This spring, I plan to renew my vows to my hubby here, in the presence of a few other people and grandfather oak. This time, the vows will be our own, written by us, said in jeans and hiking boots in the woods. I feel that this year is a new level of the relationship. In any case, when Pook got up to the spot, she wanted to climb higher, further into the trees. Her connection to this place is amazing. She found L's favorite spot, and there she proceeded to move the snow for the grass to grow.
Hmmm... I believe I've digressed quite the bit, eh?
We ended up climbing down the mountain, and the 3 of us sledding down the hill, together, laughing and screaming all the way down, especially the backwards part, and enjoying a lunch of fresh soup, cheese and crackers. Pook liked it so much, she asked for seconds. (A record if you know how my child usually eats!) It was a delightful day. Sunny, and warm, but with enough snow for sledding. We ended our visit by gathering eggs, and Pook falling to sleep on the drive home. L's is like my second home. But that, is another story for another day.
By the time I got home, it was a made dash to get dinner together and get work done. Wednesday was a day of work, and Thursday was a birthday lunch for my friend C, who watches Pook for me twice a month. We had a lovely time, and it was a perfect springlike day. So, when we got home, I saw my neighbor walking with her daughter, and a beautiful baby boy. Make note, the last time I talked to this neighbor was last year around this time, and she'd just miscarried. So to see her with her son, I had to stop and talk to her, while our two little ones played and laid in the grass. It was awesome.
Of course, when they left, Pook wanted to draw on the sidewalk, and since I didn't know how long the weather would be so calm, I said yes. Which, set me up for a horrid evening of working, and a crazy day yesterday, with no time to check email or blog (which I really, really missed. It keeps me amazingly sane for some odd reason). So last night, I went to bed grumpy, filled with a ton of horrid foods I'd eaten all day yesterday from stress.
I've learned valuable lessons this week. I need to simplify my work, and find give something up, or else come spring, I'm not going to get any sleep, and I'll have a really grumpy Pook on my hands. No more than one scheduled outing a week, this way, if there is a nice day, we can enjoy it, without a stressed out Mommy. When I focus on my work, I can get a lot done. When I have too much work, I rush through it, and in my eyes it suffers, and that is not cool.
I'm still feeling off, but, this snowy afternoon, hubby and I are going out to lunch, while the ILs enjoy the Pook. It's our Valentine's day thing I suppose. But then, that's another post, and right now, I need to get ready to go out and spend time with the hubby, sans Pook.
Thankfully, it's snowy out, but not too bad. It's all the things I usually enjoy, although today I'm feeling rushed and still stressed from my week. Hopefully, this week I'll be able to simplify a few things by talking to my boss.
So, here's wishing those who read this, a lovely and realxing weekend. May your weekend be blessed with all types of love. And, as Ed points out, there are many types of love. (Ed writes the most fascinating stuff in his blog. I find myself either in deep thought, or cracking up hysterically! Thanks for being one of those blogs I'm addicted to Ed! Be sure to check out the other blogs on my list as well!!! They are all great!)
Okay, and now I really do have to get out of these PJs! Hubby's already got the car warming up, and it's no fun going out on a "date" with your hubby, when he (or you) are grumpy for that matter! (Ed - make sure you and your lovely bride ENJOY date time together now. Once that Lentil arrives... it's a whole new ballgame!)
No comments:
Post a Comment