There are those people that you hang out with. There are aquaintances. There are friends those that you just connect with. The ones that you know you've know before. There are friends that you see on occasions; friends you've known for years; friends you'd do anything for; friends on varying levels (ones you can talk to about everything, ones you can talk to about some things). But then, there are the ones that touch the core of who you are on a soul level that you can't explain. They are so completely endeared within your heart, the bond you share is closer then family or blood, and unexplainable connection that transcends space, time, you name it.
I am very lucky to have quite a few people like this in my life. The "luvs" of my life. Friends that you just want to be with because you both nurture each other on a soul level. Friends you just can't get enough of, because your time together is so precious - even if it's baking muffins, walking around the block, or cleaning your house. Friends that know when you need a hug, and respond intuitively. Friends that you can spend all day watching play video games, or who go with your craving of a BLT late in the evening (when you are pregnant and can't get near the emat section!). Friends who cook for you, nurturing you with food too.
I may not see these people all the time, but I make the most of the time I do spend with them. These are the people that you don't hesistate to make time for (as opposed to the ones you make excuses to not spend time with). The ones that leave you feeling really, really good and rejuvenated after a visit. These are the friends/family/spirits of my heart.
Almost five years ago I found myself married and living in another state with no job, no friends in the area, and a terrible case of imobiling shyness. I'd quit my job in the corporate world that was literally killing me in the physical, mental, and creative sense. I didn't know who I was, or what I was about. I felt alone, and afraid, and my hubby (who'd been living the bachelor's life for a good 4 years) had no clue what to do with a new wife who'd taken over his place of living and wasn't dealing well with her bout of self-doubt. (He'd work all day to come home to a messed up house and me playing the SIMS.)
Eventually, I discovered a group of fascinating people who were to become some of my dearest friends, and was opened up to a world that encouraged following your own intuition, the presence of energy, and Reiki. Soon after I'd been attuned to Reiki, we ended up going to a wedding of my hub's old roommate who we hadn't heard anything from, except that he was getting wed.
At the wedding, we sat in the church, chatting with some friends, feeling weirdly out-of-place, but dealing. It was then I saw the two most interesting (and gorgeous) people there. Were they twins, or just siblings? I wasn't sure, but I'd figured on twins. One wore a suit of a shade of green and plum that reminded me of a gangster and had an Asian character tatoo on the back of his neck/head. The the other wore a silk Asian gi??? (I forget the name for the outfit - think something Bruce Lee would wear - the black jacket with white knots up the front, mandarin-type collar). I turned to my hub and said, "Now I bet those two guys are fascinating people. I'd love to meet them."
We went back, greeted the bride and groom with your classical congratulatory bit, and headed to the reception. Now, the neat thing about this reception, is that instead of numbers, the tables had words. The couple sat at a table designated "Complete". I forget the other words, because I was floored by the word for our table: "Fate".
As we sat down and wondered who we'd be sitting with (the only other people we knew were part of the wedding party, thus were way up front, while we were in a back corner). This didn't do much for my shyness, or anxiety at having to meet new people. And then, I saw them. That mysteriously intriguing duo walked through the door. It was then I knew. I just knew, that they would be at our table.
I informed my hubby of this. He just looked at me. (You know the look.)
We watched them meander about and talk to people, until they made it to our table. Then, before I knew what I was doing, I blurted out, "I just knew you'd both be at this table." I was wainting for hubby to slide under the table, and I would've joined him, except, these two fascinating guys connected with me. They were just as cool as I thought they were, if not more so. I loved talking to them, it was as though we knew each other from before, and I didn't feel so out of place with the other people at the table.
They were kind, and sociable, and fun-loving. We talked about Reiki, about where we lived, and little things. I left with email address, and thought nothing more than I'd met some cool people. But inside, I yearned to be friends.
When we got home, I jotted off an email, not even expecting them to remember me, but they did. And that following September, they actually drove down to visit us. I was so nervous, having only met them at the wedding, and now they were visiting us. I hugged both of them, not really sure what to do, because there were two of them, and shaking hands just didn't seem to feel right.
Needless to say, they now visit 1, 2, sometimes 3 or more times a year. Eventually, we'll get up to see them. They are a part of my heart, and uncles to my child. We fondly refer to how we met, and the Fate table. And I'm sure the border patrol loves the story too. :) I think one still has the card from that table. The ironic thing is, that we keep in touch with them, and haven't heard from the bride and groom in ages.
Fate. Were we "fated" to meet? Who knows, but these guys have become very dear to me and our little family.
And so dearest Canadian luvs, know that I am thinking of you this day. Sending you heartfilled hugs, and spilling over with gratitude for your presence and friendship in my life. Looking forward to seeing you soon, eh?
1 comment:
Oh you!! You're makin' me cry!! All happy tears though. Yes, I still have the card, and I'll never lose it!
I'm grateful that I took the chance to get to know you, and stay in touch, and stretch out and visit and love all of you. I'm tickled to the core to be a part of your family.
All my love! We'll be there soon(ish) :>
- canadian penguin
Post a Comment