Sunday, November 27, 2005

Solstice traditions

After my last post, I got to thinking about how Christmas is connected to the Solstice and the like. I discovered a few new things. Red, green, and white are pagan colors. Hmmm... And, if you look it up, looks like Christ wasn't the only son of the gods being celebrated in the past. There are lists for each culture. Again, very interesting.

These sites had some interesting info on the Solstice:
http://www.shambhala.org/arts/fest/unconquered.html
http://www.religioustolerance.org/winter_solstice.htm
http://www.circlesanctuary.org/pholidays/SolsticeArticle.html

And I'm sure there's a plethora of more sites too. But, those were ones I was looking at this morning.

I don't want to be all Bah Humbug and stuff, and I love opening presents as much as the next person. It's just that I keep coming back to this weird feeling inside that there's something MORE. Even reading through all these rituals for the seasons... Oi! It's all got me thinking about so much...

Over the years, we've cut back on giving material gifts to people. It just got to be too much. So, now we offer our time - like a dinner at our place, a weekend retreat, or just time spent together. We don't give these gifts to everyone, but in the case of the ILs, it's the best. They can buy whatever they want anyway, but MIL is always cooking. So now, for her birthday and Christmas, she gets a weekend here, all meals cooked and enjoying her granddaughter twice a year. This year we signed FIL up for the Pook Picture of the Month club. Da Pook works in a medium of crayons, paint, etc. and off to Grandpa it goes.

This year I was doing the cookie thing for people too. But even that got old. After my 75th gingerbread cookie, I was tired, and felt I could've been doing something more productive with my time. Plus, with everyone on diets and the like, it just takes all the fun out of it! Blarg!

So, I've been trying to get creative with gifts that I can give. I don't mind giving my time to some people, but in some cases, we are way too far away or it's just not an appropriate gift to give. Part of me just doesn't want to do the gift thing any more, especially after reading this:
http://www.aliveness.com/kangaroo/NoChristmas.html

This site really hit home for me. Maybe it was trying to figure out what to get people, getting fed up with all the materialism this time of year (buy this, but that, etc.) I tried to think about what Christmas would be like without giving gifts. It scared me, because, hey, let's be honest, thanks to some people, I can really cash in on things. :) Hubby and I caught ourselves buying more stuff for each other (winter coats, he got a computer game, we got some art books, etc.) and Da Pook (instruments, books - I'm a book lover in many cases, readily admitting Book Stores are DANGEROUS territory for me, educational toys - an alligator you can thread a string through, etc.). All in all? We are over budget.

I can only imagine those people who spend a lot of money getting their parents things, plus all the other family members. I know people who buy things for a family of at least 20 (and we are talking about $25 a pop, if not more on the parents!) and then get nice, expensive things for their friends. Now, if they actually had the money to do this, no problem. But most of these people are already in credit card debit over their heads, and going fruther into it.

I must admit though, strolling into Barnes and Noble, buying things and crossing them off a list, wrapping presents in pretty packaging, does fill me with an amount of exquisite joy. *Sigh* Especially the jaunt through the book store, with all the lovely seasonal books, the sales... er, um... yeah... I was blogging here...

So maybe, just maybe, I can find some semblance of balence between the two. Argh. Think I've given myself a bit of a headache on this one, or maybe it's the constant Christmas Dora the Explorer DVD in the background that I now know by heart.

I need to reat my brain for a bit.

However, comments and thoughts are welcome on this.

1 comment:

Playful Grace said...

Thanks for the input! I think that's what I'm currently looking for - a balance of sorts.

I'm sensing that my theme here is the lack of joy on my part. That, and that I'm just frustrated with consumerism in general. It bugs me that marketers aim to bring things like Scooby Doo back not just for kids, but to bring "big kids" back to their childhood.

But then, that opens a whole other discussion there. :)