Friday, November 04, 2005

Simplicity and letting go

I had an interesting phone conversation with a colleague and dear friend this morning. I am the owner of my own business, and a partner in another business. Let's call them A and B respectively.

Business B was my dream career, or, so I thought. It's kept me busy this year, and I must admit the payoff's been nil. Granted, it's not even a year old, but...

You see every fall I'm given the opportunity to reevaluate my life. This last year's been incredibly hectic. In March we traveled for a good two weeks out of country. May and June were fabulous, and then in July we agreed to host a foreign relative for 2 months. She was 14 need I say more? Weekends from August - October were literally booked (and not with fun stuff, mostly business stuff).

And now we're in November - with no plans for the weekends. I admit that I am seduced by having no plans on weekends for the month. So much so that it's gotten me thinking about Simplicity.

Technically, I've got about 4 jobs - the paying one (A), B, being a mom, and the house. On occasionally I do the website thing too. So, I guess that's what - 5? Add to that, that I want to homeschool the pook. That would be 6. And I haven't even figured in couple or self time.

For months my friends have been looking at me in amazement when I casually tell them what I've been up to. Now I see why. With the pook being ill, I've been able to think about things. And I'm thinking I need to let something go. Homeschooling my lil one is very important to me, and I'm not willing to let go of the pook or the hubby that's for sure! A helps to pay the bills.

So really, that would leave B. Of course, I can always let the house stuff slide too, or just better organize things.

The good news is, that because my desire to simplify is so strong, picturing free weekends, an unscheduled year, without redesigning things, or thinking about packaging is lovely. Just thinking about dissolving B, I feel lighter. So, maybe I'll just do what I did for B as a side hobby instead. Or, maybe I'll just take a year off and see how I feel.

A psychic friend of mine mentioned that what I did for B was important, but would never make a lot of money, nor was it what I'm supposed to do. I'm actually really okay not knowing what I'm supposed to do. Maybe because I'm enjoying what I'm doing, and, I'm already working from home.

It's pretty obvious, I think, to let go of B. The more I think about it, the more it feels right. But, there's still the thoughts and the energy I've already invested in B.

Ah, who I am kidding? I'm more ready to let go of B than anyone. I hate the finance and tax crap. That's the only thing I miss working for a someone else. They figure out the tax and IRA stuff.

5 comments:

Phil Romans said...

And to think I have a hard time dusting...

Damn my single male lifestyle!

Playful Grace said...

Dude,

You SO need a feather duster. Seriously. I got a big one for me, and a small one for the pook, and I tell you, literally makes dusting a breeze.

You want to get the ones with Ostrich feathers, makes a huge difference.

Just put on some tunes and dust away. ;)

Anonymous said...

Not *all* your August-October weekends were booked with un-fun stuff! If I didn't know you better, I'd be offended *smirk*

- Canadian Penguin

Playful Grace said...

Okay, all me to rephrase that. There was one weekend that was absolutely awesome, because I got to spend time with my two favorite Canadians, who I miss dearly at the moment.

Miss and Love you dear Canadian Penguin

Anonymous said...

And I love you too (and lil' pook, and hubby) - all the best! (Le Penguin Canadiene)