Wednesday, July 19, 2006

If you're living a bubble avoiding news - don't read this.

I don't think I'm going to eat out anymore. At least in places where there are TVs that keep CNN on all day long.

Today, while dinning at Panera, I managed to snag another seat close by to a TV. In the middle of trying to eat a bite of salad while feeding a 3-yr old soup... I look up just in time to see more bombs going off, and to hear the report of a 3 and 9 year old killed while playing in their yard. My eyes filled with tears as I look at my own 3-yr-old sitting beside me eating soup. I pulled her closer, blinking back my tears.

But that wasn't the kicker. A gentleman wearing an army green jumper with a military patch on his arm walked up to listen closer to the news. My friend who was with me asked him, "How bad is it?"

He responded, "Pretty bad, ma'am."

"Is this going to effect you?" she asked, nodding at his patch.

"Ma'am, if this keeps on going like it is, it's gonna effect us all." He gave us a sideward smile and one of those sad all-to-knowing looks. It was then, at that moment, my heart reached out to him. Would he be sent to the front? Was he worried?

I could see in his face a multititude of emotions. He knew what he'd signed up for. And when he looked at our kids today, I could see in his eyes, that he was willing to fight to protect us. We've got men and women, willing to put their lives on the line, to preserve our freedom, to keep us safe and to fight for the freedom of others.

This man, this stranger in a uniform, touched my heart today in a way that I can't express (though tears seems to be the most popular method today). I found myself praying that God watch over and protect this soul, who might be sent to the battle front due to the issues in Israel now.

I don't agree with war. In fact, I hate war - the politics, the death, the devestation... and what I really hate, is people getting involved to fight a war that isn't theirs, but because sides are taken.

God, in the name of peace and all that's holy - please, please stop this before it gets any more out of hand. I beg of you.

No comments: