Wednesday, July 12, 2006

House Hunting

Well, we saw two houses tonight. One was falling apart, but on beautiful land. It was smelly, and freaked me out when I saw something furry climbing into the heater. Um... gross.

The other place was quite lovely. Most of the property was surrounded by trees, there was a bit of a front porch, lovley sized living room. 3 bedrooms, dinning room, lovely sized kitchen, sweet little back porch, with trees right there to keep it shaded (you felt like you were in a tree house!)... we could almost see ourselves living there, until we walked in the basement. It was gorgeous, however, the bathroom dow there was moldy, and the air was humid and damp. Plus, in the back corner water had gotten in, and the linoleum peeled right up. Bleck.

I keep affirming that each house we look at brings us closer to the one we want. I admit though, I'm getting ansy. I just want to get a house (that we love and adore, and that's in good shape!) and move, so I can get things settled and organized. I feel almost like I'm in a limbo. I want to NEST darn it!

4 comments:

Phil Romans said...

My one question about the second house would be: Did they have a de-humidifier?
I bought a small one for my basement and it has never been dryier in its entire existance. Amazing the transformation!

Playful Grace said...

Phil - the house did not have a de-humidifier, and there was definite water damage, possibly caused by flooding from the ouside. The linoleum could be peeled up from the cement floor and it was damp both underneath with condensation on top. I don't think a dehumifier would be much help in this case, save to cover the damage. Plus, the air was think with the smell of mold.

Stacie - my thought exactly. I think I'm just eager to get a house and get settled. But, I'm not eager enough to rush into anything. Again, it's an exercise in just trusting it will all work out. They tell me I'll know when I walk into it.

Phil Romans said...

Maybe I was just very lucky... I wasn't seriously looking for a house when I found this one I have. A 2nd cousin was getting married and wanted to sell her house.
No fuss, no muss. Other than home minor home improvments, it has been a nice home.

Playful Grace said...

Phil, you are indeed lucky.