Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What is it that you really need?

I've embarked on another self journey as we come into autumn. It seems to be my "thing". Perhaps it is because it is my favorite season, and, with the changing of the leaves clearing represents letting go, and transformation, a preparation for the winter where turning inward seems to be the easiest.

In any case, this time around, I'm working at being more in tune with my needs. Be it a hot bath, good massage, exercise, or yoga, I'm listening. It's not easy, at least not now, because I think I've rather blocked out that little internal voice that used to let me know when I needed to rest, relax, or just lay there. Probably because I don't think I ever, really truly listened to it (if you know what I mean).

Yes, I know I need rest, but I don't have time. Or, I've too much to do. Or, I'll do it when I'm done this. And, of course, it keeps getting put off and put off until... I end up sick, exhausted, or so grumpy that I can't stand myself.

This morning, I woke up with my back twinging. What do I need? Yoga.
Okay, I'll exercise instead and see if that works. You need Yoga, particularly the one for back care. Weights would not be the best idea.

So, instead of jumping in and doing yoga, I puttered on the computer, then did an exercise DVD, and then, did the back care yoga.

And, imagine that. My back felt better. And, imagine that, like I always feel when I do yoga, I felt good. Centered. Calm.

I'm giving my "little inner voice" permission to be louder now. I hope to become a better listener. And in the process, I can continue to remind myself, that when my back hurts, yoga is the best thing for it.

No comments: