Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Revelations of one who's boxed herself in - yet again!

This week, da hub has been on a business trip. At first, I was really scared to be a single mom for a week, simply because I'd never done it before. And for those of you who read this, who are single moms... I have a whole new respect for you, and I've also realized the blessings you have.

For one thing, I never realized how I had limited myself to keep my schedule similar to hubs. Perhaps it was because I'd bought into the mindset of being home when he gets home to welcome him with a clean house and dinner. Which, mind you, doesn't always happen as I'd like. Thankfully, I've got a hubby who enjoys cooking! (Note, he never asked me to do this. He even wondered WHY I did this. Cause you see, I felt I wasn't doing enough at home and needed to make his life easier. I know - I'm so silly sometimes!)

And then, I started on this journey to discover who I am really, and what I really like. Oh, I've discovered such lovely things. I enjoy skirts! Especially fru-fru ones! I like to be outside - just not all day. I'm not a bug person. I love that I've a friend that I meet with once a week so that our kiddos can play together, and we can sit up a blanket on the grass and watch them chase butterflies.

And these last two days, I discovered that I don't have to mold my schedule to fit hubby's. For one thing, I do a lot during the day, and though I'm not paid for being a mom, it's still a job. Besides, he'd enjoy a few extra hours to himself during the week, and I'm going to start taking some time for me on the weekends (Did I mention this to you yet, darling? I am now...) so that I can recharge and be a better mom and wife.

I spent today out past my usual self-imposed curfew, and it was wonderful. I'm really enjoying my new-found independence, and also enjoying the fact that I can stay up late and create my own schedule. (Remember, I think in my own way, which isn't always as others think, and so realizing things like this, that others know, is big for me, though it might not be for you.)

So, this week, instead of dreading the situation, I've been embracing it, and enjoying it. It's been so freeing for me to do my own thing. And, who knows... I just may end up appreciating hubby even more so. :) Absence makes the heart grow fonder... and mine is definitely growing!

No comments: