Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Recentering after spinning off center.

I've another confession to make - I've been decluttering again. And not, due to Phil's comment either. ;)

Just so you know, this post is really more for me, then you. But, I'm putting it here to remind me about the haves versus the wants, and how the wants can really clutter up the mind.

When I'm feeling overwhlemed and disconnected, one surefire way to bring me back, is to figure out what I can get rid of. Usually, I get to a point where every little thing is getting to me. And, when I release the physical clutter, I find the mental clutter is soon to follow. I'm weird that way, but it works. And, the bonus is, my house gets more spacious as we go. :)

The last few weeks I've been feeling overwhelmed due to several things (it's list time!):
* The huge chunk of change due to the IRS since I techincally have my own business.
* Watching the savings account dwindle as we get our cars nice and repaired.
* The basement freezer being wierd and fritzy; wishing I had gotten an upright one instead of a freezer chest.
* The fact that one needs money, a fair chunk of it, to build a fence and stairs from the back deck.
* Though I techinically don't need a fence to plant a garden, it would keep the local cats from using any garden I plant as a litter box.
* The privacy of a fence, that I don't have, would be really super nice.
* Fresh, home grown veggies, would be awesome.
* We've a huge tub of primer in the basement. For painting. Which, may never be done, as I've not decided on color yet. and then there's the whole point of me not being able to sleep in a house due to the my glands swelling up thanks to paint fumes.
* Budget, what budget?
* Chocolate has become a staple, as well as other foods that taste great, but aren't in agreement with my body.
* Some of my friends are so together (in my eyes) - why am I not?
* I have been incerdibly hard on myself lately.

And then, this morning, I stopped. I stopped, because I realized:
* I may not have a fence, but I've a swing on the back porch AND a bistro table. Perfect for snuggling, reading, and meals.
* I can walk to my Post Office.
* I can walk to a small, nearby park.
* I can drive to several parks in the area.
* I work from home. I have a business, that lets me choose my hours. Yay for flexibility! Yay for an added income that will let us save up for the fence.
* I can spend mornings snuggled up reading with Pook.
* I can spend afternoons playing with Pook.
* Some of my friends have had gardens for years. I don't, but sometimes my friends will share their harvest. And, I'm SO grateful!
* I am blessed to have a car and access to organic foods and a farmer's market (that I've yet to go to).
* I love my house. And, knowing that one day the walls will be painted, means that I get to experiment with where to hang pictures, without worrying about too many holes in the wall. :) Whoo hoo! Rearranging!
* Our cars are getting repaired. Which means, I don't have to worry about them breaking down.
* Kids are resilient. I can only do my best as a parent.
* If I customize my homeschooling program, I can still be creative and stick to what I feel is the core program.
* I am different, which is a good thing. ;) Comparing myself to others, being hard on myself is really quite silly. I know I'm quite different then most people anyway. My ways are just that - my ways. Some might consider them wierd, unusual, and unorthodox, but, when it comes down to it, they work and I feel good about them. Besides, if everybody was like everyone else, what a boring world it would be!

So, uh, thanks for reading about how I clear my own head clutter. So easily I've tended to get caught up in the wants, forgetting about the haves. Sometimes, I miss out that I already have so much, and my wants aren't actually my needs. :) Ah... the ego.

No comments: