Saturday, March 18, 2006

What's in a name?

When I was little, I didn't like my name. It was picked for me by my mother, and seemed too formal and elegant for lil ol me. I wanted something more fun and adventureous. So, in highschool, I shortened it and took a "nickname", which, was quite funny because my mother named me a name she thought one couldn't create a nickname from.

In any case, there have been times when I thought about changing my name, and what name I could be. I'd ponder and create, and make up names, and most recently, I played with my nickname to come up with another version, just for fun.

But this morning, looking at my name (it's not really a nickname anymore), I couldn't really imagine myself with any other name, because I feel as though I've finally "grown" into my name, if that fits.

A strange, but altogether neat revelation for a Saturday morning I thought.

Of course, I've never officially changed my birth name, but that doesn't really matter, because no one really calls me by my birthname anyway anymore. Well, unless I'm in trouble that is. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had my "nickname" now for almost half my life, I can't imagine being my birth name anymore.

But what's in a name? It's not the label that matters, it's who you are, and your name doesn't really lend itself to your identity (at the very least, I don't believe it does, regardless of spurious evidence to the contrary).

Now I'm burning with curiousity as to what your birth name is ;)

p.s. see you in a month!!!!!

- canadian penguin

Playful Grace said...

I just found it interesting that the other day, finally seemed to "fit" me, or visa versa, if that makes sense.

Yay! One more month!!!

Phil Romans said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Playful Grace said...

Stacie,

I'm one of the few (but growing) women who did not change their name after they got married. I just chose to keep my own. I have two other friends here who did the same thing, and kept their maiden name. It makes things confusing in some cases, but, it was easier that me changing everything.

I know another couple who took on the hyphenated version and of each other's last name, so they both changed their last name, and, I've another friend who went by her maiden name, but added the hubby's last name with a dash on it.

So, that's what I did. I liked my original name too, so I kept it. The important thing is to do what feels right for you.