Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Perfect Saturday...(Almost)

I sit here in my cozy chair at my cozy desk, recently decorated with fresh tulips thanks to my mom (thanks mom!), with my 16 oz chai latte made for me by my "latte boyfriend". It's been a delightful Saturday that started out with morning cuddles and a back scratch (without an almost 3-yr-old sandwiched between us), a delightful breakfast of crepes filled with fresh blackberries and topped with a yogurt/brownsugar/vanilla extract mix (I had no fresh whipping cream on hand), a lovely chat with Mom, and then we were off to have lunch at a delightful little French cafe (yes, really, a French cafe in this mountainous state!) .

You see, my latte boyfriend works at the Starbucks coffee shop next to it. Why is he my latte boyfriend or LBF (who I now have a real name for)? Simple. Because I'm a sucker for a great chai latte (and I spend lots of time eating at the French cafe!).

When I first got a chai latte, I was sitting on the front porch of the place enjoying it and chatting with a friend. My LBF was returning from outside, and actually stopped and asked me how the chai was. The next time I ordered one, I was actually in the restaurant with my hubby and 2 male friends, and he came to the table and asked me how it was. So, after a while, I just started waving and saying hi to him, and he's always asked me how my chai was. (And, yes, he didn't talk to or ask my hubby or 2 male friends, or any of the other friends I've been with when ordering a chai, thus is why he's my LBF.)

Today, however, I had some time to chat with him while he made our lattes. We were both very excited discussing how whole milk makes a chai latte too rich, but skim milk is just right, and he was very excited that Mom and I felt his lattes to be better than Panera's. I found out his real name, and found out that he's from PG county in MD. He's a real sweetie. And now I can greet him by saying "Hi XXXXX!" when I see him, instead of not having a clue as to who he is.

I know, I'm such a sucker for places with that extra bit of customer service. But then, I love how when I visit the French place, Da Pook is befriended by the owner, and gets to go back and meet with "the boys" (the chefs) , giving Mommy and Daddy a chance to eat their meal. I love knowing the owner, having her bring out a plate of chips as we are sitting down for Da Pook, and not charging us, because she knows Da pook loves them. I like having a LBF who knows how I like my chai, says hi to me, who cares if I like my chai (and that he makes a wicked one), and who DH teases me about. :)

So here I sit at my desk, typing my thoughts, sharing my wonderful Saturday morning with you. Da Pook is fast asleep napping. The house is quiet as Mom is downstairs caught up in the Angels and Demons boon by Dan Brown she bought yesterday, and hubby is typing away on his puter.

I am indeed content. In fact, I've begun to be more aware of my contentedness, because I really think I used to take peaceful moments for granted. I used to truly think things like:
  • When I have a new desk, I'll be more organized and be able to enjoy it.
  • When I have a new house, I'll have more room, plant a garden, do this, do that, etc.
  • When I have this, then I'll feel...
  • And so on.
But today, I love this old desk from my hubby's parents. There are circular stains by my monitor. The fresh tulips make me think of spring and make me smile. There are papers scattered on it, but it gives it that "lived in feel". And though I usually prefer darker wood stains... right now, I just really, really love the way the walnut finich complements the black puter.

It floors me, that I didn't always appreciate things or people, as I do now. Life is too short. I appreciate all sorts of things now. Little things, big things, reconnecting with people I once knew or cut from my life... It really truly makes life worth living. It makes being alive all the more. It's amazing.

I appreciate the grayness of the sky, the cut out paper hearts hanging from my window. The picture of me and DH before we married. I even appreciate that today is warm, like spring, even when it should be cold and snowy.

Life is filled with so many little things and details that get over looked. Go out and look. Go out and live. Go out and find yourself a latte boyfriend (or girlfriend) and let them know how much you appreciate they way they make it for you (it'll make their day). Snuggle with your pets or children, walk in the woods (Phil's got this covered!) and crunch some leaves. Notice the little things.

As for me? I'm going to take a few more moments to appreciate this desk as is, before I clear it up, and settle in with a good book.

Oh, and for all you out there reading this, those who I know, and even those I don't - I appreciate you. I do. My heart is runnuthing over with joy and gratitude, and I want to share it with everyone today.

It just makes the world so much better.

PS> I added a slew of new blogs that I'm currently addicted to. I just can't help myself! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate going to little French restaurants in the mountains with people who know the owners because I get free chips too! Even if I have to share the bulk of them with Da Pook :>

- canadian penguin

Phil Romans said...

The only reason I even go in to a Starbucks is for thier chai tea. I have tried it elsewhere, but the Tazo mixture they use is nice.

*sigh*