Perhaps this post is in tribute to the recent readings from Sarah Ban Breathenache's book Simple Abundance, or maybe it was my husband's comment this morning about how he envies my choice to sleep in if I choose to, but in any case, I feel the need, almost desire to share the gratitude I have for my life here on this blog.
And I'd like to encourage others today, to take time our and just be grateful for what you have, where you are, and if you aren't, then look, really look for it today. Why? Because being greatful opens your eyes to gifts you may not have known.
So here it goes. I realized this morning, that I love my life. There, I've said it. I love and adore my child. I love and adore my sweet husband. I am grateful that I work from home, that I can set up playdates during the week for Da Pook, and yet still offer an income for our household.
I am grateful that my husband not only cooks, but enjoys cooking. I'm grateful that when we get angry, we can express it, see that we have both usually contributed in someway, and get over it. I am grateful that he has taught me how to take time out for me, and do things for me, and that he encourages that we spend time together, as well as apart (even if it's just him hiding out in the basement cave). I am grateful for his hugs, his sweet smile, and his willingness to work together as a team in our marriage. We'll be married 5 years this year. I am grateful for how far we've come in our relationship, for the growth we've both experienced, and for our willingness to communicate.
It's changed me as a person in so many ways I can't even count. There was a movie out on lifetime... and I always remember this phrase, "What is it that we are all looking for? The one who makes us better than we are alone." And that, is my sweet darling hubby.
I am grateful that I had a child who loves me, for small hands upon my cheek, for the sweet scent of innocence and baby shampoo, and for the wisp of soft hair along my face. For the warm, cuddly, squiggly child in my lap while I try to type. I am grateful for the soft voice counting to 10, and backwards, and the warmth of snuggling with Da Pook in my arms, or falling swiftly into dream land hearing her soft, steady breath next to me.
I am grateful that my jobs are something I truly enjoy. I love being a mom, I love working from home. I love that I can set my own hours, and that I don't have to drive to an office everyday. I feel as though I've finally found a job that I enjoy (even though, there are still times I'd rather be doing something else, and I do feeling overwhelmed if I don't keep up with the work). And I am also grateful for the time management skills is teaches me. And yes, I do love the fact, that if I really need to sleep in - I can do so most of the time.
I am grateful for my sweet home. It's just the right size - not too big, not too small. Though eventually we will plan to move, I've loved this house since the first moment I walked in on a gray day, only to be embraced by it's brightness regardless of the cloudiness, and the small, timid voice, beckoning me, "Come, live in me."
I am grateful that our house encourages me to release and declutter on a rhythmic basis. Each year the good will sees me at least once. Since I've been in this house, I've released so much junk - material, physical, and mental. And I am grateful for it.
I am grateful for where we are in our lives. We live a simple life compared to most. And, do our best to be frugal. I am grateful that we have the choice to be frugal.
I am grateful for the people in my life - friends, fellow bloggers, internet pals, and family. Each person in my life has been a teacher - regardless of age.
Today, I am relishing in gratitude. And it feels really good.
And - now it's here, online. So, next time I'm not feeling so grateful, I can comeback here and reread it. :)
1 comment:
You know what's funny? My response to this post was going to be a simple "Amen".
You beat me to the punch, Phil!
Well, a second Amen is better than none.
Amen. Amen. Amen.
Hallelujiah.
-Ed
Post a Comment