Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Focus for 2006

I did decide on things I'd like to focus on for the new year, and I also created affirmations. (We do this as a family each year.) Only this year, we included one for a house. Though we aren't actively looking, we figured we'd put the energy out there and see what happens.

In any case, there are 5 things I've decided to focus on:

1. Continuing to Simpify my life
This means decluttering material, physical, and mental stuff; finding easier ways to do things; doing less, but doing more of what I enjoy; and saying No. This has also resulted in planning ahead for weekends of No Plans.

2. Continuining to improve my lifestyle and eating habits.
This past year I learned what healthy food portions were, realized I'd been eating double those portions, and started taking movement (yoga, walking, etc.) more seriously. I'm also working on focusing on when I'm hungry, versus when I'm stressed to the max.

3. Spend wisely and consciously.
Asking myself if I really need an item, or if it's filling that boredom or stress void. If it doesn't absolutley make my heart sing, forgetta bout it! (Plus, it helps you know, in saving for a new house!)

4. Stay in tune with Rhythm; honor and getting to know my inner/intuition.
Life has it's own rhythm, there's the rhythm of seasons, and my own personal rhythm. All work together and have their own effects. Learning my moods, when I'm energetic and when I'm not, is not only helpful, but very liberating, because I'm not beating myself up on a day when I'm not fully motivated. Plus, it helps me to honor myself and spend time going within each month.

As for the intuition, this ties into the food thing, in the sense that I'm exploring more about myself and how I really feel about things. One of the reasons I hibernate come winter, is so that I can reevaluate myself and really think about how I feel. Sometimes, things get so chaotic, I felt very out-of-touch and make choices I normally wouldn't. So, I've been practicing recognizing that "gut" feeling.

5. Continue to connect with appreciation and gratitude.
Just being appreciative and grateful is life changing. I've been doing it for the last few months, and it's really had an impact. So, I'd like to keep it up.

Don't know how much I'll get to posting over the next few months, as, I'm feeling a strong urge to hibernate. After the last two weeks, the urge to not see anyone or leave the house is strong. Now, if I wasn't working, I could be playing, and cozied up with a pile of good books. Of course, I'd still be watching Da Pook, but... I wouldn't be looking at a computer screen.

Also, as is tradition, we drew cards for the New Year.

I have this Goddess Deck that's uncannily on target (my friends always ask me to draw a card for them each year). For instance, last year, I drew Sulis (Celtic goddess of water) who's message was to spend time around water for healing. I ended up vacationing on and island and spending time in a water spa there. The entire experience totally changed me and my life.

This year, I got two cards: Oonagh and Rhinnanon. According to Oonagh, all is happening in the right time; I'm to take things slowly and easily. I'm being given the opportunity to "ease" into things. And according to Rhinnanon, my dreams will manifest this year. Which, was totally funny, because we'd just affirmed the house right before that. And, according to the fairy cards we have, I'm to "Honor My True Feelings" and be myself.

The connections between these 3 cards were strong, and completely on target, because that is the sense I was getting for this coming year.

So, it'll be very interesting to see where this all goes, eh?

3 comments:

Playful Grace said...

Of course I'll draw one for you. I'll email the info to you personally as opposed to posting it online.

As for yoga, there are various levels. You need to start out with the beginning moves, then work your way up to where you feel comfortable. I made the mistake of jumping into it at the higher levels - not good.

Once your body gets used to it, then you can do the standing poses as asanas (like a sun salutation where you move more fluidly and can really build up a sweat)- which you will feel, and notice muscle tone after a while.

When you start out as a beginner, the moves are very different. You focus more on the strectching. There are some great DVDs out there, one of them "Yoga Conditioning for Women" with Suzanne Deason is guaranteed to leave you feeling "the burn" the first time you do it - that's if you can get through the whole set. It's about an hour long, but feels wonderful and really centers me.

Not that I get a chance to do it often though.

Next time you do a class, try just tuning into your body and seeing how you feel. Can you push the stretch a litle further? If you are taking a class, you can talk to the teacher. There are usually about 3 different ways to do a pose.

As for completely clearing your mind, I focus on the breathe and how my body is feeling. Sometimes though, I just let my brain run its course.

It could be that the yoga is accessing mental stuff you are dealing with or haven't processed yet either. There've been many cases of people breaking down in the middle of a downward dog pose or child's pose in tears. For some people, it really accesses different things.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you food for thought.

Anonymous said...

*teehee* You said "eh" again :>

My energies are entirely focused on quitting smoking, and this time things are going very well. This wasn't a New Years resolution, it was something I wanted to get done during my holidays (between school semesters). So far, so good!

Maybe I can get a card drawn too?

All my love to you and hubby and Da Pook - canadian penguin

Playful Grace said...

Stacie - I'm flexible like that too. The beauty of yoga, is that the more you work with it, and the more gentle you are, the more flexible you get. The key is to not push yourself too fast and too far in the beginning.

And, you are welcome!

Canadian Penguin - Yes I know, I wonder where I got that "eh" habit from? :)

Of course I'll draw you a card, I'll email you the info when I get a chance. :)