Sunday, October 14, 2007

Thoughts on a lifestyle change

Today, I was reading this blog: http://livelightlytour.com/blog/ .

There is something about the lifestyle this family has chosen that really appeals to me. I've been pondering what it is. It could be how neat and homey the RV looks. Perhaps, it's the lack of stuff and clutter in their lives. Maybe it's the neat colors on the walls. Maybe, it's because they have decided to up, take a chance and follow a dream. Maybe, it's because I can create a really cool image of this happy, close knit, worry-free, faith-filled family in my mind, and make it seem so very cool.

I am in awe of their decisions and the fact they can live their life in such a small space and promote their ideals. I think it's wonderful. Part of me wishes I were like that and could do that. The whole idea of living so simply and with such faith, is very appealing to me. Realistically, I know, that if we lived in an RV and did that, we would not be a happy family. My sweet hubby finds it way too cramped. Plus, I don't know how we'd do with all that driving, and tryig to find oil.

It's fun to dream about what our lives would be like if we changed a few things, or many things. I've always been very creative when it comes to imagining how other people live, feel about their lives, and if they enjoy them. I used to be so inspired, I'd want to drop everything and create a life like the one I imagined for others.

But now, as much as I think it would be cool to sell off everything and go with the flow, I'm not so sure I'd be happy doing that. Well, I could really be happy anywhere, but I've come to love my life so much here, that I now find myself really, truly thining about changes I'd want to take.

Maybe it's because it's clear that happiness isn't guaranteed if you sell everything, live a smaller life, live move simply, eat from the earth, make homemade bread from scratch, etc. Happiness is being happy when you have a lot of stuff, live a complicated life, eat packaged foods, etc. It's a choice; a beautiful perspective that you choose.

I've lived in our home for over 6 years. I loved it when we first found it, but got distracted by what I thought I needed to be happier. Then, one day, I stopped, and took a really good look at my house. I started to really see its potential, and I fell in love with it. In the process, I fell deeper in love with my life, my husband, and well, as y'all know, I'm continually falling deeper in love with Pook. Kids tend to do that, doncha know!

I think what's been fun for me, is making the most of what we have and where we live. It's been a fab life lesson.

No comments: