Phil just emailed me this article titled Parents say "enough" as child parties go wild. I was agast at the prices, and what people do, although not too aghast because I know people who would actually consider spending $5,000 for their kids' bash. Yes, really. People like me and you. People who make lots of money, and people who are in hock due to the type of parties they give.
We've had family parties for Pook, that always involve a ton of people (FIL is 1 of 6, add that to my dad who's 1 of 3, and my mom 1 of 2 - and the rest are over seas). If I host them, they are pot luck. If MIL hosts them, she insists she provides the food.
This year, Pook will be 4 years old in April. Last year, she celebrate with her 3 friends on our friends' farm. There was a turtle cake, feeding the donkey, gathering eggs - good, fun, natural stuff.
This year, I'm not sure what we are doing yet, or how many kids will be there. A wonderful rule of thumb (I think) is to have no more kids then years being celebrated.
For her first birthday, we had a party here, and one in MD. Let's face it, Pook usually gets 2 parties a year. Although, I think we'll hold off until a significant number before she has another "big" one in MD.
In any case, it was ironic that I was reading this article, because I was just thinking about Pook's birthday. I wanted to do something outdoors, that is environmentally friendly. If we only do 4 kids (plus parents), I can do it at my friend's farm.
And, get this. She's been into the Robin Hood movie (from Disney, with the fox), and I've actually been entertaining the idea of using it to teach the kids about the King Richard, the crusades, etc. Yeah, I know. You're thinking - Grace, they are going to be FOUR years old, and you want to teach them history? (But just wait until she gets older - might have to get Stacie's input on some historical stuff! )
Of course, she may not want to do Robin Hood. I've still got a few months to think about it regardless. I do know, it won't be an sleepover at FAO Schwartz. (Hecht, after my teaching experiences, I doubt my child will be sleeping over anywhere. Do not even get me started about the horrors I've heard.)
5 comments:
What no comment about MTV's sweet 16 bashes they show?
I'm SO not going there. Thankfully, we don't watch TV (save for DVDs and videos), so, I don't have to worry about that.
I did get to see one of those shows, however, and the girls on it were absolutely abominable; crossing friends off the list at the last minute, being drama queens, and don't get me started on the parents... "I just want my little girl to be happy", because, y'all just KNOW material items are the way to go.
NOT!
And thus, reason 5,782,943 as to why we don't, and won't, watch TV in our home.
25k - that's almost my wedding budget. Bob knows someone who spent 16k on his daughter's sweet 16 - a shopping spree in NY. Amazing.
I use to work at a kid's party place - dressed up and painted faces. It was alot of fun and the kids seem to enjoy it. But how do you have a child appreciate the little things when they have 25k parties???
I always had my parties at my house. Steph had a bowling party. The simple games were always fun. I think that a party at a farm is awesome!!!!
And the Robin Hood idea - very cool.
Speaking of birthday parties, I don't intend to miss any, so that means I'm coming this year (me and the twin have already made plans). So keep us posted!! I have exams sometime between April 23 and May 11, but don't know exactly when yet (I'll find that out February 16th).
It's my "end of the school year trip" and I look forward to it every year. Out of the city, spending time with some marvelous people, and - of course - Pook's birthday!
- canadian penguin
Yay! Visit from the twins! Whoo hoo!
Post a Comment