Monday, January 22, 2007

A Quiet Sunday

Yesterday was the most splendid day. Actually, this whole weekend was quite lovely. But yesterday - it snowed! AND Daddy was home to enjoy it with us.

I love snow. I love it more when Da Hub gets to enjoy it with us. Of course, he was shoveling the sidewalk during Pook's and my outdoor walk. But he was home, and when he looked out the window, I could move up behind him, wrap my arms round his waist, and hold tight.

While walking in the snow, I am still amazed and enthralled by the quietness outside. I thought, that it being Sunday, there would be kids on sleds - but they didn't emerge until afternoon sometime. And so, sweet Pook and I walked among snowflakes, leaving foot prints.

At times, there were two sets, other times one set - from when I carried her, or she walked in mine. I'd pick her up, and she'd dust the powdery snow from my hood. Too bad it wasn't good packing snow, else, I'd have a picture of a snow man to share. But maybe, just maybe we'll get out and play in it today.

I was also blissfully aware of the flakes, and managed to notice 3 perfectly shaped (as though carefully cut from the ice) flower and crystal shaped flakes. I marveled, dared not breathe, as I watched them melt. Bliss.

For dinner, I made homeade lentil soup, to compliment homeade bread. Pook, ate 3 bowls of it!

I had a chance to read, relax, snuggle - and even let go of a huge chunk of my past.

You see, I'd had 6 binders of email tips, exercises (mental, physical, spiritual), dream house bits (pictures, paitn swatches, rooms)... and Da hub and I sat down, whilst Pook watched Robin Hood, and went through ALL of them.

Somethings, I saved (we're down to 1 binder). Others, he had to throw away for me. But by the end, I was able to toss. I'd held on to these things for over 8 years, some maybe even over 10 years. I've never once referred to them. After I read them, in they'd go. In some cases, I never even read them, just shoved them in.

And so now, I've got 5 empty binders.

At first, I was panicked! But as the day passed on, I felt freer and lighter. Just looking at those binders had been stressing me out. Even the house binder - with pictures, paint swatches, and designs of our dream home - GONE! Now, I feel free to accept a gift of a house, instead of trying to control and plan each and every detail. It's exciting to be open to possibilities, I might not be, because I'd closed them off.

And so, last night, as we all snuggled into sleep, upon fresh flannel sheets, I smiled as I realized the gift this day had been.

2 comments:

Phil Romans said...

Can I have a bowl of lentil soup please?

Playful Grace said...

Drive on up... I'll warm up the leftovers, or make you fresh. :)