Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Everything, and anything can be a learning experience

The hibernation isn't quite going as planned, but that's okay. I'm using this post as a sounding board more or less, as I've been asked to take part in a leading a workshop that encourages parents to celebrate the seasons with their children. I've also been pondering how to make homeschooling (or HS as I'll be referring to it hereon) more of a priority in our lives.

And so, I'm here. Putting forth my thoughts into this electronic media for you dear readers!

In regards to HS, I've decided to start displaying HS stuff around the house for inspiration and encouragement. There are 5 areas that I do my best to focus on with Pook each day:

* Words - Reading, writing, and phonics
* Numbers - Counting, Math
* Music/Dance - Listening, dancing, singing, making, appreciating
* Art - Painting, sculpting, drawing, etc.
* Nature - doing something that relates to the outdoors
* Creative Play - This is based on books from Oak Meadow. It's when she plays on her own.

In order to encourage these priorities, I've decided to really start incorporating the HS aspects into our decor.

Words:
Books can be found in almost every room of our home. On second thought, at this very moment, there are books in everyroom of our home!

I'm infamous for posting quotes, affirmations, and meaningful words. There are magnetic letters on the fridge that we trace with our fingers. Before bed is the mandatory reading with Daddy (and sometimes Mommy). In the morning (on good days), Pook and I sit and read together.

She can already write an H, but until she shows more interest, I'm not pushing the writing aspect yet. But there are plenty of line tracing activities I can encourage her to do if she's interested, and that she can do as she gets older.

In regards to phonics, we haven't done much work with that, but we will. Another neat thing to do, is to make bread dough or play dough into letters.

Numbers:
Decorwise - they appear on our fridge with the magnetic letters. She is constantly counting and sorting things on her own, so numbers are pretty easy. I haven't quite figured how else I plan on displaying them, although, she does have object on her nature table she can count and sort. Also, games like Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, etc. encourage counting too.

Music/Dance:

Our home is usually always filled with music. Each meal we usually play a CD. And, when we are cleaning or cooking, music usually fills the air. Occasionally, you'll find all of us (even Daddy) breaking into dance. In the kitchen. Alone or all together.

Art:

To encourage art, I've created a table centerpiece that displays all kinds of good art supplies on the kitchen table. Using jars, I've put out markers, crayons, paint brushes, chalk, and other inspirational goodies.


I keep them on a tray, for easy removal from the table when we have guests. They encourage Pook to draw and create each day. As an artist, and a believer that art and creative expression is important, this is a big one for me. Already, I've got most of the learning stuff put on shelves in the dinning room for easy access.

Nature:

Recently, we've created a nature table for Pook. A nature table is a great way for kids to be indoors, and there is a vast amount of information out there on them. However, let me tell you what we are doing. The table changes each season. Right now, we're on winter (even though it feels like freakin spring.)



There's a blue towel with snowflakes on it; a stuffed snowman; a kailidoscope (scuse the spelling); a woven bowl with acorn caps, a pine cone (it's on the list to find/get more), 3 dradles, a few seashells; a bowl of rocks; a vase with sticks from the tree outside (that was budding *sigh*); a cool shaped stick from a walk at Oregon Ridge long ago; her fairy wands; and a basket filled with wintery, snowy, and Christmassy books.

Each season the books and cloth will change accordingly, as we discuss what occurs with weather, plants, animals, etc.. On Thursday, we plan to make homemade pinch pots that will enable her to create art, and sort items like acorn caps, sea shells, sticks, and other nature goodies.

When we go for walks, or visits, I encourage her to find rocks, leaves, and the like to keep on her table. Many things on her table have a story to go with them, which make them even cooler. Even when she leaves the nest, I think I shall keep a spot for a nature table in our home. It's become that precious to me.

Creative Play:


All of her toys are easily displayed and in easy reach. Hopefully, she'll have a kitchen set for her birthday. She just got a doll house for her birthday. If you think of how a nursery school is set up (corner to keep coats, store, dress-up area, kitchen/house area, blocks, art area, reading area, doll house, car area, snack area, etc.), you'll get the idea of how we are setting up our home to reflect this.

Already, I've got most of the learning stuff put on shelves in the dinning room for easy access.

I don't have a formal schedule as of yet, and she is involved in a Kindermusik class (if you have kids, I cannot reccomend this program enough - and it starts with birth until age 7) throughout the year. This program tackles all these things, and then some.

What I like best about HS, is that every day is a learning experience - for all of us. For instance, a day at our friends' farm means outdoors and in nature. She gathers and counts the eggs (numbers). She plays the piano (music). She plays in the water (creative play). She come home, and curls up in bed to read with Daddy.

As you can see, even if you are choosing not to HS, you can still incorporate these ideas for your own child. I find, that if you make learning fun, and realize you do it everyday, it makes the whole experience more amazing. You'd be surprised what you gain from it as well!

2 comments:

Playful Grace said...

Thank you, Stacie. That means a lot. I enjoyed school, but I think I would've enjoyed it more if I had realized that you are constantly learning. After a while, I was so tired of the school day, I just didn't care anymore. Anything to do with learning, just wore me out. (But our mom always made us do work sheets and the like to keep our brains "fresh" through the summers too! How I hated that!)

Thanks for the input about the historical re-enactments. We've considered that in the plan for when she gets older. We want to travel to different places where she can learn and more importantly, experience the history of a place.

Also, since you are a self-proclained history nerd, perhaps when she gets older, she can talk to you about things. I'd also love your suggestions for books, websites, and the like. :)

Many of my friends have different interests - from sewing, to history, to hiking/camping, to photography, to math, etc. - and I'm all for Pook being able to connect with these "in person" resources, and learn from them.

I hope, that if she realizes that learning is fun, as opposed to constant work, that she'll take to it better.

We shall see.

Playful Grace said...

Well then Stacie, we'll all have to plan a trip to visit some of these sites some time. :)

I'll have to check out your reccomendations - thanks!

In regards to the American girl dolls, my only issue is the expense. Oi!