Sunday, December 24, 2006

To Grandma's House we go

Today, I was able to receive, and to give, a wonderous gift. I surprised my grandma in her assisted living residence with my mom, brother, DSIL, and sweet nephew (my lil buddy) in tow.

Within seconds, the woman who had been sitting sadly slumped in a chair, perked up with smiles as we entered her room. To see two of her grandchildren, and two of her great grandbabies, filled not only her, but us with joy and love.

It was a good day today. We visited and talked. We snacked on chocolates. She took us around, and showed off her proud family to the other residents sitting in the foyer. Da Pook proudly sat on her lap in the wheel chair (when she wasn't sitting in there with my lil buddy, being given a ride from Uncle T). Lil Buddy ran around, blowing kisses and saying hello.

What saddened me most, was all these other lonely souls sitting in the main lobby on Christmas eve. Where were their families?

Before we left, we took her down for lunch. I didn't want to leave. For the first time in years, my grandma was happy. She wasn't bitter or upset. She was filled with joy. As we left, we all teared up. I didn't want to leave her there. I didn't want her to be without us.
I left there missing my grams, yet happy that we could brighten her day. I discovered she's closer then I thought, and, we've decided that we'll try to get out and see her more. I was delighted to see the joy the children brought to the faces of the other residents; torn that we had to leave; and resoluting that we would be back to visit again.

No comments: