Sunday, December 10, 2006

Freecycling

I took another step toward living more consciously today. I joined my local Freecycling group. You can find a lot of information in regards to freecycling on http://freecycle.org/.

I have also been thinking of creating my own Compact Pledge. We are planning to buy the Pook a new bed in January, but after that, I think that we might try to Compact for the month. I love the general aims of the Compact yahoo group:

  • "To go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of disposable consumer culture and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step that, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact. I've been working my way to the Farmer's market, and we've cut down the trips to Walmart in favor of a Kroger. I think this will be the most challenging part too. As I need to research into where to recycle. Of course, if on the Compact, I won't really be buying anything other then food, and the other bits mentioned below. So...
  • To reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er). Currently in the process of doing this.
  • To simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact) I really LOVE this part, and I feel that we've been simplifying our lives in a big way. We've been saying no to things, spending weekends relaxing as a family, instead of running around. When I compare what we've done this year, to last year, we've done much less, yet we are so much more content.
There are two principles:
  • First principle - don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
  • Second principle - borrow or buy used.

A few exceptions - using the "fair and reasonable person" standard -- i.e., you'll know in your heart when you're rationalizing a violation: food, drink, and necessary medicine (no elective treatments like Viagra or Botox) necessary cleaning products, but not equipment (don't go out and buy the Dyson Animal, for example). socks and underwear (utilitarian- -non-couture or ornamental) pajamas for the children." More information on the details can be found here: http://sfcompact.blogspot.com/2006/01/new-years-resolution.html

I think it's pretty feasible that we can do this for a month or two. I'm sure that we could probably do it for a year even if we put our minds to it; however, I'm not quite ready for that in light of the fact we have several house projects planned. I do think that we might modify it a bit to suit what works best for us.

I'm sure if I tried, I could put into word exactly how I'm feeling right now. Exhilerated, excited, peaceful... What is it about deciding to live consciously that makes such a difference? I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Next step: Continue to declutter, keeping only what we love and have space for, and figuring out how and where to recycle.

1 comment:

Playful Grace said...

I think the main thing is just being conscious of how you buy or acquire things. Second hand isn't for everyone.

If everyone was more conscious of what they bought, there would be less waste. For instance, only in the last few years, have I really started to pay attention to my wardrobe. Before, I'd buy whatever was on sale, but never wear it. Now, I shop with a goal in mind.

I try to by Pook's clothes at a local consignment shop, as she never really wears them long enough, and she's got a friend that gives her hand me downs. Kids rarely wear clothes long enough.

As for me, I prefer newer clothes, but have bought second hand before.

Good will is great, but it's better if you can find someone that you know really needs it. I try to do this as well. As I say, you've got to find what works best for you.