Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thursday Thoughts

This week, I've gotten the opportunity to dump off two loads to the Good Will, and clean up the basement. Now, Pook can ride her trike indoors when the weather gets too cold.

I've finally (after a good year or more) gotten rid of the old sewing table my mom dumped off (after I'd already sent a better one back to her because I wasn't using it). There are still a few more boxes for hubby to go through, and a box I'm holding on to until my mom and SIL come to visit, then more stuff goes out. I'm even tempted to dig into the boxes we've already packed up to move again.

Of course, in peaking at a few of the containers, I discovered one is filled with her doll house stuff, and another is filled up with gifts for her that I got on sale for her birthday, Christmas, etc. (Thankfully, I haven't started shopping for her birthday. Looks like it's covered!) And then, there are about 3 more filled with toys of hers we've packed to see if she's noticed, or toys too young for her that we are saving for the next.

I always try to go through and get rid of things around Christmas. Obviously, because we usually end up with more stuff. And, once you have kids, it seems the more you get rid of your stuff, the more people give to your child. Mind you, I still want my FIL to build Pook her kitchen set, but I'd rather wait until we move as space is already tight here, and, when homeschooling, you get to accumulate stuff for that too. Although, if we haven't moved by her birthday, I may just reconsider that, and make more room. Um... yeah... here's sending out those house vibes again.

I'm still amazed at how good it feels to just let go of material stuff. I guess since I've spent most of my life clinging to it, being able to release it and embrace the more important, nonmaterial items, has made the difference.

No comments: