My grandmother had a beautiful, oval-shaped, walnut dinning room table. For as long as I can remember, it hosted so many family memories and holidays. When my grandmother first moved into assisted living, she had to part with many of her things. I inherited her dinning room set. The beautiful table and cabinet, and the strange chairs. It was at least 30 years old.
The cabinet now hosts a plethora of our homeschooling supplies nicely organized and labeled. I've tacked up beautiful fabric from my MIL so that instead of displaying China, it houses an even more important part of our lives. Every time I look at it, I think of my grandmother, remembering all the things she used to store in it.
For 8 years it served as our dinning room table. It supported a great many feasts, tea parties, and more. This last year it's served as my office and homeschooling central. The chairs had strange netted backings, which Pook would poke her fingers through, pulling them out from the base. Two chairs have been in the basement for months, in need of tightening and new screws. And this year, when we moved the table to make room for our Christmas tree, the legs trembled.
As hubby laid underneath, tightening the screws, putting the legs back into place, we realized it was time to let it go. With a deep sigh, I called my brother, to see if he wanted it. He, like me, had no room for it. He told me that if I could find no one to take it, that instead of trashing it, I could bring it to his place, and we'd use it for a bonfire - a cremation of sorts.
We managed to find friends who will be taking the table. These friends are dear to my heart, and as they've no children to poke fingers through the chair backing, and the hubby is a Mr. FixIt, I think it shall be rather lovely in their new place. And I am so very grateful that it will have a good home for a while longer.
My grandmother died this past spring. Today, as I watched hubby and my FIL take it apart for storage in the basement until our friends pick it up, I was fondly reminded of all the years we sat and celebrated at that table. My heart ached as I felt the table's top, and watched them remove the leaf and the legs.
Now, I sit at a "new" table. It's stronger and sturdier. It's smaller and square. It belonged to my ILs. My MIL made cushions for the seats. The backs of the chairs are just right for learning against, offering wonderful support.
Right now, it's white with light wood. It's already changed the feel of the room. There's a new energy about. Pook wants to paint it black, and maybe we will.
On Thursday, this table will host a Christmas feast. New memories will be created. I've taken quite a liking to it. It feels very right, and will be the cause of revamping the dinning room to be more focused on homeschooling.
I'm hoping that it will be a part of our family for quite a while.
4 comments:
merry merry chrsitmas to youDani and your family. poignant post, and I can truly empathise with it as I feel the same way about some of the stuff I brought over here from my parents house. so sad and yet it serves also as a happy reminder of those happeir times.
I love that you were able to release grandmother's table to a meaningful life with new owners, and presumably, pass along some stories with it. We did the same with my parents' dining room set, passed it to a family friend who remembered many holiday dinners at my parents house.
Freudian slip? You described the new chairs as perfect for "learning" against! <*grin*>
It was truly a magical holiday, and our new table has been wonderful. We spent the yesterday and this morning cleaning up the decorations and moving stuff around.
So, yes Jaye, it indeed was a slip, as our dinning room has been converted into an official schooling room for learning - and it's wonderful!
Reminder from my mother:
Beautiful...
there was the eight years we used it at Timbergrove where you and your brother learned about formal dinner parties and game playing on that same table. Also, your hide and seeks under the table.....and yours and Brother's sleepovers where we found many a body tenderly sleeping as they hid from their tormentors....
Post a Comment