This holiday we did several things:
* Decided what our goals were and what we wanted from this holiday season.
* Said No. A lot.
* Decided what traditions we liked, didn’t, and wanted to start. (Did this with activities as well.)
* Simplified gift giving to the extreme.
* Scheduled special things for the family and just for me
* Most importantly – agreed to not freak out if everything didn’t get done on the list.
What type of holiday do you want?
Last year’s holiday was so totally chaotic and stressful for me. Add to that discovering I was pregnant and we were sick most of the time… well, it was not the holiday we wanted it to be. So, this year we decided we wanted a holiday filled with joy, family time, PEACE, gratitude, relaxation, and wonder. Keeping these words in my head helped me to focus on what it was all about for us.
Saying No.
This has always been hard for me, but this year, it got easier, and will be easier now that I’ve felt the benefits. We said no to travel, no to cookie baking (oh the horror, I know – but this year it made a world of difference!), no to certain gifts (more on this later), no to Christmas lights, no to spending time with people we didn’t want to, no to a variety of things… and guess what? It gave us time to say yes to things we really wanted to do.
Now, next year, I may want to bake cookies. This year, we didn’t get around to it. Next year, I may want to travel. I have given myself permission to change my mind. And that’s just fine.
Oh, and my favorite phrases for which to say no are:
* I have plans.
* If you need an answer right now, I have to say no.
* That’s not possible.
I’ve found that if you offer excuses or reasons someone is guaranteed to counter argue you, and it’s not worth it.
Traditions and lists
I didn’t realize until this year that traveling was totally stressful for me. Trying to see a ton of people in a short amount of time, missing out on those individual connections, and dealing with hurt feelings of people we didn’t get together with is not enjoyable for me. It was nice to not have to deal with any of that.
I also discovered we’d started several traditions – Christmas-tide activities, decorating a gingerbread house, dinner with friends, watching Christmas movies, dancing and singing to Christmas songs with the kids, made pinecone birdfeeders, etc. All of these things filled me to the brim with joy.
I was also very aware not to over schedule things. We determined how many activities, and when we did them, and what was best for us. Instead of exhausting ourselves with 3 and 4 activities a weekend, we choose to do 1 or 2 instead.
And, I’ve made a list, checked it twice, included what activities we didn’t want to do, and those that were nice. It’s made it easier to say no and plan things.
Gift Giving
We keep this extremely simple. (Some people feel it’s too simple, and that’s cool as you need to find what works best for you.) About 15 years ago, I was giving gifts to 60 or more people a year – to far removed acquaintances and out of guilt. Then, I got married and hubby was more than a little freaked out by the bills from our first Christmas.
So, we talked it over and decided that we were only giving gifts to our immediate family: our kids, our parents, our nephew, each other, and maybe a few other people depending on the situation. Everyone else gets experiences. My favorite is the dinner hubby makes for certain friends each year, or having people up for a weekend at our “B&B”. Gifts have become so much more meaningful.
I also start the gifts in September. Grandfathers get a calendar with pics (which I update through the year). The moms get books they are interested in. My nephew got a magazine subscription. And – we ordered most of the things online to save going to the stores. As we are big into keeping clutter out of our house, we really try to give gifts that can be used or that we know for certain will be enjoyed.
Scheduling
This year we did a lot of family activities together, and I also did a few things for me. I made sure I had time to paint. I went out with a friend for cocoa. I found time to read, journal, blog, exercise and do yoga. All of these things made a huge difference, “filling my tank” so that I could remain calm and peaceful through out the season. And jolly. Doing these things for me helped me to be very jolly indeed.
Most Important
Agreeing to not freak out if things didn’t get done, gave me permission to let things be and not worry if things didn’t happen according to plan. And if I did freak out, I could do it for a little bit, and then let it go. Out of everything, it made the most difference.
4 comments:
Our holiday philosophies line up well. Good for you for sticking to your guns and not letting this time of year get away from you. The state of the economy has provided a nice excuse for us to scale back even further this year, and I think that's going to stick going forward.
That hubby-prepared dinner sounds lovely. I wish we lived closer. (Note how I'm theoretically inviting myself. Ha!)
Thanks. And, if you did live closer, you so know you'd get a hubby-prepared dinner. :)
Have I mentioned that there's always the option of visiting our lil "B&B" here? :) You and your hub are always welcome if you feel like a change of scenery.
And, hubby will cook for you I'm sure. Not to mention the kiddos are hilarious entertainment. ;)
This year it suddenly seems obvious to me that so much of the stress and tension of the holidays is brought on by unrealistic expectations and pressure for things to be a certain way and perfect!
I don't remember all the parts of the decision being conscious for me but I enjoy it so much more when I allow myself to depart from the "norm", especially at this time of year!
Here, here! RoseAnn!
Post a Comment