Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thoughts on Lent

Is it too late to think about Lent the second day into it? As I believe each day gives us the chance to start anew, I don't think so. I just need to embrace that tense feeling that "I've missed something" or that I'd be doing something "wrong".

I know that Lent is usually a Catholic thing. I'm not going to go into my religious beliefs here. I will say, that I really like the idea behind Lent. Well, my idea that is. I've found over the years it's come to mean many things for many people. To some, you give up something you really love, as a reminder of Christ's sacrifice. To others, you give up something that's not good for you. To me, well, it's been many things. And then today, I read this:

http://willows95988.typepad.com/tongue_cheek/2009/02/lent-a-time-set-aside-for-us-to-look-at-who-we-are-and-give-it-away-freely.html

and something hit me.

There are many times I've been afraid to be myself. I've boxed me up, covered me up, tried to be something I'm not, and run away in denial, as far and fast as I could. And then I realized, I can't. Who I am leaks through into my writing, my speech, my words, my actions. There was a time when I didn't like who I was, when I was afraid of who I was, because I realized that I was guilty of what I was judging others for.

Over the years, I've been blessed to see the light within others, and in turn myself. That light has been able to grow, enlightening those parts of me I wanted to keep in the dark. And you know what? They weren't so bad. In fact, they are what make me the amazing human being I am.

So who am I? I don't have just one answer, and in many ways, I don't know the answer. I'm a woman, functioning as a mother, wife, lover, teacher, dancer, artist, homemaker, home keeper, muse, creator, friend, daughter, sister, aunt... I do so very many things on a daily basis, that sometimes I can not keep up.

And what do I give away freely this month? Inspiration. Creativity. Compassion. Listening. Support. Love. Who wants some?

2 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I don't think it's ever too late to listen to the message of Lent. There are so many ways to renew yourself and I think your observations make a lot of sense!

Everydaythings said...

good post here! I dont seem to do Lent anymore as its all about giving up something. So giving away a part of me is much better... my time, listening skills etc... so your post made sense as its changed the lenten perspective to a much more positive doable thing. and if I give up chociolate or chips hey so what! but giving up time or effort is that much harder and oh so more worthwhile.