Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Life Speaks.

What does your life say to you (or about you)? Anyone tuning into my blog right about now, or looking back, might notice that I'm going through an intense nesting phase, that I declutter and purge my material possessions on a regular basis. I also home school our eldest, and plan to home school the rest. Hopefully they'll see that I love and adore my family, that we are eagerly expecting a new arrival, and that I'm just making my way as I go along.

In the years since I've started this blog, I've learned a lot about myself. When I first started it, I was discovering a lot. I remember that my description was more who I wanted to be than who I was. Now, I'd say it's more in tune with who I am.

I've a friend who reminds me that "Lives Speak." Her life speaks volumes. Sometimes I wonder if she truly realizes how unique and amazing she is. She's one of the smartest people I know, and our friendship always challenges me. (Her memory is amazing compared to mine. :) )

I never really thought about what my life was saying until she brought it up one day. And she's right, what we say and how we present ourselves are no match for how we live our lives. What we do speaks volumes - if someone pays attention.

I like to dream, to talk about what I'd like to do, and then I either do it, or it gets lost in the void until I want to play with the idea again. I'm great at talking about what I'd like to do, and letting myself picture what it would be like if I did it. And yet, I don't always do it. I once said that I tend to think out loud sometimes. Which can be frustrating as I verbally figure things out, then decide not to do it. (I've often wondered if this drives others crazy.)

Over the years, I've gone from being interested in "every little thing" to finally focusing on things that really bring me joy. Sometimes I'll try something based on another's suggestion (I used to do this a lot), but for now, I am getting to know myself and my likes better, which makes it easier to decide if it's something I really am interested in.


So I'm not entirely certain of what my life says about me to others, and then, that doesn't matter to me so much as what my life says to me.

When I first started looking at my life, "hearing" what it was speaking, I was appalled. Now, it's growing on me. I'm accepting who I am, working on being less judgmental, and determining what really is of value to me. I'm okay with the realization that I enjoy talking the talk, even though I might not walk that way after talking about it. And knowing I do this, helps me to focus back on what I am doing with my life currently.

I'm playing with the idea of regularly connecting to what my life is speaking to me. Either with pictures or words. I'm not sure, but there is something about "listening" to life.

What does your life speak to you?

No comments: