I've mentioned a few times that I'm getting ready to purge our house of stuff. Okay, maybe more than a few times. ;) But right now, things feel different. I'm taking it to a new level.
Yes, I'm nesting. Being 22 weeks pregnant, this is a natural thing. So, this could be a big part of what is inspiring me to do this. That, and the fact that if I don't, it's going to be pretty tight around here. I also need to give credit to a dear friend of mine (you know who you are!) who has been going through a massive purge of her own, or the Great Heave-Ho as I believe she's referred to it.
If you've been reading this blog for a while, then you'll note that I get urges to declutter on a regular basis. In fact, I've noticed that I get the urge to purge particularly when I've felt that my life was out of control. It was a way to regain control over my environment.
But, I could only take it so far. There were things that I was extremely attached to and couldn't stand to part with. There were things that were given to us, so I felt guilty if I returned them. And when I decluttered, it was all or nothing. I'd take on the whole elephant, instead of baby steps. If I worked on a project, it had to be cleaned up and looking nice by the end of the day.
It exhausted me. It burned me out. Yet, I kept doing it.
And then, my life changed.
For a good chunk of time, while my friend was heave-hoing her things in carloads and going deeper and deeper each time, I had no desire to purge or do anything with the stuff. In fact, I took a month to just let things be. And then, I did something radical. Something I was never bold enough to do. I removed the pictures from the walls - and they are still off the walls weeks later. And I like the space, even the piles in the basement created from the unwalled pictures.
With the pictures gone, I began to remove various things. Again, things I thought I couldn't do without. It was now clear to me, that these were things. Just things, and things I didn't really need, and *gasp* was not enjoying as much as I thought.
Unlike before, I am in no rush to replace the wall hangings. I don't even miss the ones I thought. The more I think about them, the more I wonder what I would put up if I didn't have any pictures. There is a shift happening in my home. Things are taking on something deeper.
Originally, we'd planned to declutter with the purpose of creating more space for baby. We knew that when we started trying for Baby #2. And, most of the decluttering has been to maintain space in our home, and to keep from being overrun with Pook's toys.
I've always wanted to take it to another level. To go as far as I could, only keeping those things that I enjoyed or that brought me joy. To create more space in my home and my life. To get rid of the things that I really didn't want, but held on to - just in case, because it was good feng shui, because it was a gift, because I used to really like it (even though it's not "me" anymore), or some other reason that eludes me at the moment.
I'd dream of doing something radical, like moving to a smaller house or an RV. What would I keep? What would I be willing to move? What if I didn't have room for so much storage? And then, there was the time we were prepping to move (we decided not to), yet ended up packing things away, instead of getting rid of them.
So here I am now, blank walls, piles in the basement, and enjoying it. Actually, I am enjoying the process of discovery. I'm discovering what brings me joy. I'm discovering space. I'm discovering that I don't want to put things back as they were. I am letting the rooms speak to me for a change. I am listening to the space, and keeping space where I can. I am realizing that things I once enjoyed, I don't anymore. I am aware that space (in my home and my life) is important to me, as is joy, family, and so many other things that richly bless my life.
I am also aware that what is most important in my life at this moment, is not what is on my walls, or shelves, or floors, but what makes my house a home - my husband, my children, my friends. Thus, if I'm going to have things aside from family and friends in my house, what of these things do I really enjoy and use? What of these things could benefit others?
So this is where I am right now, with bare walls and a messy basement. I am pleased, but I also know that my hubby can only take so much. ;) So we will be going room by room through our home, actually giving thought to each room.
Today I came across some questions Peter Walsh asks of people when helping them declutter. I'll sum it up this way:
What is the vision I have for the life I want? (And hubby's too.)
What do we (hubby, Pook and I) want in our lives, homes, rooms and living spaces to look like, to feel like, and to function?
I'm going to be thinking about the purpose of each room, what words, thoughts or feelings I'd like each room to convey. And then, what things will support this.
We will not be buying new furniture (though Hubby's promised next year we get to paint - Whoo hoo!!!!) or new things. The key will be to use what we have, get rid of things we don't need (want, use or like), and find a place for the rest. I'm looking forward to it, though, I admit, in no real rush at the same time. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment