Wednesday, February 14, 2007

To my love

I am married to a most amazing man. I don't celebrate this one day a year, but, today being what it is, it's the perfect reason to make sure he knows it.

My husband is a wonderful cook, and cooks most of the meals in our home. On occasion, I help out or even cook a whole meal, but most of the time - it's him. When I start to get cranky, and he knows I need some "me" time, he'll encourage me to get off the computer and do something for myself. If I'm having a challenging day, he'll take over care for Pook so I can get things done. He helps me when I get into a decluttering frenzy, and has even been encourage to do it on his own.

He's a snuggler (although these days we've got to fit it in where we can, because our Pook is one too, and doesn't like to be left out!). He's creative. He's my best friend. I can tell him about everything and anything. And when I feel I can't, I usually end up talking to him about it anyway. I can be completely open with him, put my heart right out there, completely let go and be me - and he embraces it all (sometimes with a little smile). He loves me completely for me, and that is such a gift.

We are up front with one another and our feelings. He's not afraid to tell me No, or that he doesn't want to do something. We don't "force" one another into uncomfortable compromises. We put our cards on the table, clean up the mess if one is made, and move on. If I need him to be sensitive, I let him know. If he needs to come out and tell me something that I might get hurt feelers about, he'll check with me (or at least give me a heads up!). Never, have I been able to communicate so well with someone.

There are so many wonderful things about our relationship, but one thing over the past few weeks that I've come to appreciate more than anything, is the level of trust we have for one another. I know he loves me, and I love him. We want to be together, and that's all there is to it. We take our marriage vows seriously, and therefore know we need to work through things instead of playing games or pulling the "silent treatment" card. I want to grow old with him, hold hands on long walks, be mother to at least another child of ours, and play with grandbabies (if that's what our kiddos decide).

I adore my hubby. We still have that occasional argument. We still get angry with one another or in general. But we've an unwritten rule to treat one another with respect and love at all times. We are very considerate of each other's feelings. I know that he needs his cave time, just as I need mine, and we do our best to see each gets it.

My husband and I don't go out of our way to celebrate this day. In the past, we've exchanged cards; I think twice I created a trail of hearts for him to follow on a treasure hunt of sorts. We don't do the flowers (for the set reason that the prices are jacked up) because of this day (although he has surprised me before), but sometimes I get them after if we find a good deal. Luckily for him, I'm not into jewelery, and if I am, he knows it's best to let me pick it. (I've got a very hard-to-define taste, and sometimes just go by the way it makes me feel.)

Though I don't like all the commercialism, I do like the fact that one day a year Love (albeight in its commercialized form) is celebrated.
So my love, Happy Valentine's Day. I love you.

Interested in the history of St. Valentine's Day?

No comments: