Monday, February 26, 2007

So, do you like British humor?

I absolutely LOVE British humor, with thanks to BBC and Phil for introducing me to Black Adder (LOVE IT!), the hubby for Red Dwarf (oh Lister!), and oh other goodies! And don't even get me started on the delightful discovery of the series of Hercule Poirot, starring David Suchet as Poirot. I can't even see anyone else playing him now. He's so perfect!!! (And for you Monk fans out there - you will SO see who he is based off of!)

But, I've digressed. I'm here to rave about the movie Keeping Mum with Maggie Smith, Rowan and Kristin. If you like dark comedies, British humor, Maggie Smith (Oh Maggie!), you will SO LOVE this movie! And Rowan! I knew he was brilliant in Black Adder... but he just floors me in this movie. Really, he was amazing as a vicar (yes, a vicar) who's disconnected from his wife and how he rediscovers himself and, well, don't want to ruin it for anyone, but really - this movie is SO good!

And um, yeah, I've already watched it 3, maybe 4 times since we got it Friday from Netflix and ended up buying it. I can't help it, each time we watch it, you notice something else. A look here, a simple inflection there... I have an awesome appreciation for these actors. Mind you though - the Amercian character will discuss you, and there is some nudity. And, oh yeah, murder (that you never actually see... and arent' gory).

And so now you know. I love and adore British humor. And yes, you'll occasionally hear my spouting off about putting the kettle on for tea, watching the tele, etc. ... comes from all those bloody good shows doncha know.

1 comment:

staciecm said...

I loved Red Dwarf - I think that the Loyola guys in reenactment turned me onto it. No Worries!