Monday, October 30, 2006

Tis a Gift to be Simple

It's been a hectic, but fun weekend. I am excited about Christmas this year, as we've seriously cut down on giftgiving, and found some neat gifts to give instead. For those of you who are just joining in, we are in the midst of house hunting, and saving. Thus, we are on a budget.

By mutual agreement, with are not exchanging gifts with the BILs, my SIL, and the SO. We are giving gifts to my sweet nephew though. And, I've been stocking his up for some time I admit. And, I didn't realize just how relaxing it is, as I don't have to worry about what to get anymore. It helps too, that we are all saving money at the moment.

I admit, we've already gone a bit off budget, when I found the Pook a doll house for Christmas, that was over budget, but at 50% off for the house and furniture, irresistable. Plus, I could just see in my head how I wanted to present it to her.

I am really excited about my latest discovery though: http://www.heifer.org/. You can check out the site to find out more about it.

This site has solved many things for me. I now have a gift for the people who have everything, and I feel that I'm doing something good with my gift. Plus, I like knowing that in someway, I'm making a contribution to someone who can really use it, in the name of another. Plus, it's just cool to donate honey-bees, chickens, or a llama. :)

For the lucky ones in our family, we'll be baking them mini loaves of gingerbread, zuchini bread, banana nut bread, and pumpkin bread. Complete with recipes. The breads are healthier then cookies, and for sweet grandmas who no longer can cook homeade things, a real treat. (Apparently, Dad's like them too!)

I want to teach Pook the importance behind the gift, not the gift itself. I've been craving simplicity (usually happens after a few weeks of choas), and last year was rather stressful figuring stuff out. This year, we are buying a few things, but, they are clutter free, something wanted, or things I'd picked up throughout the year.

This will be the last year, for a while, when we try to make it back for Christmas. And, I'm looking forward to Christmas at home for a change. I love seeing and spending time with the family, but, the Santa myth really looses something. Not that we've really done anything to encourage that myth...

On the homeschooling front, I'm really excited, because a friend of mine and I decided to start our own little support group. There are quite a few coops in the area, and I have connections, but to meet every week has been challenging with the other activities. So, we've decided on once a month; however, it might be twice a month. I'm also going to sign up for one of the field trips groups as well.

I am just so psyched about the whole process. I'm looking forward to learning with her, starting a nature journal, creating projects... I have decided, that if she ever decides she wants to attend regular school, she'll have that choice. However, most of the kids I know that are homeschooled love the freedom and choices they have.

So, today, I'm just filled with that sense of wonder and contentment. I've gotten confirmation I'm on the right path with Pook, and things are again falling into place.

2 comments:

staciecm said...

Wow, it seems that you have soo much going on with the house and homeschooling and now Christmas - I can't believe that it's that time again. I do wish that Target wouldn't put up their Christmas stuff until Halloween was over, but tis the season.

With the new kitchen, my family has also declared a quiet Christmas. I'm just really looking forward to getting together and cooking a nice dinner one night. I can't just imagine Pook's eyes lighting up when she sees the treasured gift. I still have my doll house and cherish it.

Playful Grace said...

New Kitchen? Did I miss a post? :)

I remember a time when it was the day after a holiday stuff went out. It was a LONG time ago. I remember it was barely fall, and I walked into a store with fall decor in one aisle, Halloween in the next, and, yes, Christmas int the one after.

The last five years have been interesting celebrating Christmas as a married couple. My way of thinking (I used to "add" to the decor each year, buy gifts on sale that I ended up not giving or forgetting about, and giving things just to give) in regards to holidays and spending has really changed.

I'll have to blog seperately about that.

In any case, yes, it's a lot going on, but, I'll be done with the gift part in the next two weeks. The best part of homeschooling, is that EVERYTHING becomes a learning experience. Including decorating and celebrating the holidays.

I see if I can't get a pic of Pook's eyes when she sees the doll house and email it to ya. :)