Thursday, May 20, 2010

Definition of a true friend

In conversation today with a friend I was blessed enough to visit with, we discussed how a friend was really someone who feeds our soul.

I've recently lost one of those people in my life, and he didn't just feed my soul, but many others. He was one of the kindest and most generous people I know. He was regular to this blog. He is very missed.

At his memorial, my little one felt the need to speak and let people know her heart. This sweet little one, stood before a large group of strangers and friend to tell them, "I need to say something." She took a breath and clearly spoke, " Roger... he was my friend."

He was mine too, and the friend of so many others.

And as we sat and chatted about friendship, I realized, that for her and I, friends are the ones who feed your soul. I agree, and for me, mine make my heart sing as well. They are the people I feel safe with. The ones who are there for you fully and wholly, accepting you and loving you as you are. They've "got your back" and you have theirs.

I think that for each person, the definition of friendship is different. But the people who are your friends, probably have very similar definitions.

You can be friendly with many people. But you really only are friends with a select few.

No comments: