Monday, February 08, 2010

I didn't know love, until I met him.

I remember when I first knew I loved him. It was the day when I knew that I didn't want to be without him in my life. The day when I tried to imagine not being embraced by him, not being able to feel his whispers against my cheek, or having his arms around me.

Everyone else in my life seemed to know that he was the one for me, save for me. I was scared to lose him, as I'd lost so many other friends once that line was crossed. Fate, as it has its way, had other plans.

When my grandfather, Popop, was in the hospital, I couldn't drive home after the visits. I was too emotional. There were a few times I made it in on my own, but my love would travel to my house, pick me up and take me there. He and I were the last ones to see Popop conscious, and you'd have thought I'd known then, when my grandfather who was lying there miserable with the tubes in his throat, trying desperately to communicate with me, saw him walk in the room.

He walked in with a confidence, his black trench coat swirling about him. And my grandfather's face lit up and glowed with a smile that I hadn't seen in months. He knew. HE KNEW. And it would still be over a half year before I accepted that this man was for me.

We started out as friends, and then it blossomed into something more. He saw inside me. He believed in me.

I'd always doubted myself, until he came into my life, and showed me a glimpse of what he saw. He shared himself with me on so many levels, and love me - as I was. He listened to me. He paid attention to the details. He loved me.

Since then, he has taught me so many wonderful things. He has encouraged me and shown me what love is - from the willingness to let go of love, to embracing it with passion and vibrancy.

He showed me through his words, music, and touch. We connected on a level I didn't know was possible.

And now, he is my husband. Yes, it took a while, but he proved himself correct that day he told me I'd be his. Because I am - heart and soul my love, heart and soul.

Je t'adore. I adore you, my sweet. Thank you for finding me. Thank you for persevering. Thank you for convincing me that I am worth it. Thank you for choosing your equal.

AMLHCK

1 comment:

RoseAnn said...

That's absolutely beautiful, Dani!